Thursday 27 July 2017

How to service a British Seagull outboard

I decided that the British Seagull Outboard that I recently brought could do with a service.
I brought the oil Castrol EP140 and a Champion D16 Spark plug.

First lay the outboard down to be able to remove the oil drain plug.


 
 
 Remove with a penny


 
Not much oil left


 
I then used an old washing up bowl to drain the oil into. Nothing it seemed was left in the gear box. am pleased I only run her for a short while.
 
 
 
Left to drip but, still nothing

I then turned her over and filled up the gear no with new fresh oil. I let it drip though before adding more oil until the correct amount was in the outboard. I tightened the drain plug and stood the outboard up. Just to check if oil was leaking out. I then placed it on the side to check for any leaks none found. So I assume that the outboard does not leak oil.




Next spark plug change.


Champion D16 Spark Plug
 

I removed the old spark plug with an adjustable spanner as my spark plug socket was too small.


 
Looks like a new spark plug is needed
 


The old a new plug

I then put the new Champion D16 spark plug back in and gave it a tightened it up.


 
Looks better with a new plug

All in all it took me about 15 minutes to do the service. So I will carry out a service for this outboard anually like I should.

Tools needed a penny and ajustable spanner
Parts needed Oil Castrol EP 140 and a Spark plug


Next Service will be my Mariner outboard and my Yanmar 1gm10 inboard.















1 comment:

  1. This is interesting, but cant be called a service.
    When i work on my seagulls I do the following:
    Check spark, if good then no need to change the plug.
    Check oil levels and replace if high run hours.
    Check points, clean and replace if needed. Check points gap.
    Clean out carburetor bowl, blow all jest out with carb cleaner, air line of manual and check all are clear.
    Check throttle cable and linkage and adjust if nec.
    Remove filter from tank and flush if clogged.

    ReplyDelete

Coral Moon

Coral Moon will be my fourth yacht. She is an Elizabethan 29 with a somewhat underpowered Yanmar 1GM10. When I went to pick her up ever...