Monday 7 August 2017

British Seagull Silver Century Project

British Seagull Silver Century Project




Engine number: WSL 1220AA3
Manufacture date: January 1973
Series: Silver Century long shaft
Model: Amal 2 Jet Carb
HP: 4.5
Ignition: Wipac Mk2

I saw a British seagull silver century outboard on ebay and made a low best offer that was accepted. From the pictures I could see that it had a recoil starter on it. It was sold as a non runner. I decided that even if I could not get it running it would be worth getting for the recoil starter.


 
Recoil Starter removed


I went to pick it up and the seller was a car mechanic and he told me that a customer gave it to him and that it had no spark. I was less certain that I would be able to get it running.

I filled up the wheelie bin with water and tried to start the outboard a few times nothing. I then checked for a spark none. I then took the recoil starter of the outboard. So I could conect a drill to try and remagnetise the ignition. I had the drill on full power for five minutes. I retried but, still no spark.


 The drill trick

I was doubtful of being able to get the outboard running but, decided to try for a further five minutes. On the second pull the outboard started and was running well but, was not pumping water.

 
Running well

I got the hose out and turned it on to try and clear the lines. I then restarted the outboard a only a litle bit of water come out of the telltail so I cut the fuel of and then water started coming out of the telltail like it should.

The flywhell protector looks very rusty so this will be treated and repainted. I am undecided wherther to put the recoilstarter back on or put it on my forty plus outboard.

More to follow shortly.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Coral Moon

Coral Moon will be my fourth yacht. She is an Elizabethan 29 with a somewhat underpowered Yanmar 1GM10. When I went to pick her up ever...