Saturday 15 July 2017

Eastebourne to Littlehampton

After spending the night in Eastbourne I had the chance to get some supplies had a much needed shower premier mariner showers are always good. I must had been unlucky as the shower smelt of fish. I decided to depart at 1200 it did mean that I would have to go against the tide for a short while.


Moored up in the Mariner


I had done a passage plan to Portsmouth but, did not want to commit myself and 
had options for other Ports on the way. Brighton, Shoreham, Littlehampton, Chicester.

I had to go though the lock so I rafted onto another yacht they were only going out for a day sail. The seas were a little lumpy but, that was to be expected round that area. As there was an onshore wind I decided that it would be safer to give Beachy Head a wide berth.


Calm seas



I saw quite a few dolphins they seemed a bit camera shy and did not want to play. I only saw two other yachts. It was a nice sail with great view of Beachy Head.






Beachy Head




The light house for Beachy Head


I sailed past Brighton making 6 knts full sails. Then past Shoreham on Sea. Around Worthing was tricky due to the amount of fishing nets. The conditions started to worsen and the barometer started to drop rather rapidly the winds picked up. I put a reef in the main and shorted the Genoa. Cliped on and started preparing for worse conditions. I was 5 miles from Littlehampton but access is tidal and I was a little early I shorted the Genoa and tried to slow down it was now dark. I checked the depths on the Littlehampton Harbour website and it was showing 1.5 meters. I entered with a very strong flood tide with a cross current. It was a hard entry to make.


I always like sunrise and sunsets at sea


I could not find the visitor mooring and when I did there was no space. So I went to a fisherman pontoon that had shore power and water. However I was unable to leave the pontoon due to a locked gate. It was time for a beer anyway.  


Not much light left




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coral Moon

Coral Moon will be my fourth yacht. She is an Elizabethan 29 with a somewhat underpowered Yanmar 1GM10. When I went to pick her up ever...