Monday 17 July 2017

My first boat build


I have always wanted to build a yacht and to sail her around the world. But, everyone needs to start somewhere. I started by buying Ultra simple Boat Building by Gavin Atkin.



It has over 17 plywood boats and really does show one how to build a boat with zero experience. After reading the book cover to cover I decided to build a micro mouse boat the a simple stitch and glue plywood boat.


All marked out ready to be cut.


       
I got the material WBP from Travis perkins for £20 some cable ties from the poundshop some glass tape from ebay for £10. I also brought some PU glue.

Panels all cut.



I carefully marked out the wood and then cut the panels out with a jigsaw some pieces I had not followed the lines that well so I got the sander out so that it all fit together. I then drilled some holes in the panels and stitched it together. I was really impressed as it started to look like a boat. I then used the PU glue and tape. I wish I had just used epoxy as the PU glue had an uneven surface and was very messy.

I tried tape but, it was not strong enough


I decided to fiberglass the hull for added protection. I used exterior paint that seemed to be ok for such a simple project. The day come to test her out so on the roof rack she went and down to the River in Warwick I put her in the water and she did not sick. Paddled quite well but, after I fitted a skeg she was even better.



I would recommend the to anyone who wants to build a boat I fully intend to build other small boats before moving onto a pocket cruiser.

Not so keen on the finish with PU glue

A cleat is always handy

After painting

Yes she floats





No comments:

Post a Comment

Coral Moon

Coral Moon will be my fourth yacht. She is an Elizabethan 29 with a somewhat underpowered Yanmar 1GM10. When I went to pick her up ever...