Monday 17 July 2017

Littlehampton to Fareham

The Moon was lighting the seas


The weather forecast for Selsey Bill to Lyme Regis had a strong winds forecast. But, after spending so long on the passage from Faversham and knowing how Tallula handled in lumpy seas I made the decision that I was going to leave Littlehampton at high water 0255.


A cargo ship coming in

I had very little sleep and sliped the lines at 0250 I noticec what appered ro be a fishing vessel in the middle of the chanal. In fact it was the harmer master who not using the VHF shone a bright light completly blinding my nightvision instructing me to return to the Town quay as a vessel was entering.

I did as instructed and some 30 minutes later a large cargo vessel entered the harbour I waited until she had passed and once again slipped the lines to leave the harbour. Just outside the harbour entrance the seas were indeed very lumply I assumed that it would improve once in deeper seas. How wrong I was it just got worse.


It was nice to see the sunrise'


I decided the night before that I would not risk the Looe chanel and set a course for the Outer Owers. There was a following seas and the outboard continued to become submerged. I was making just 3 knots.

I short while later the outboard stoped and would not start as the winds were westerly I decided to tack and tack I was making very little progress. The winds picked up and I decided to head as close to the wind as I could my speed incresed. After a few hours I could finally see the Nab tower and could see the Ise of Wight. I could even see other yachts the most I had seen since leaving Faversham. It was such a relief to finally be back in the Solent.


I could finally see Portsmouth


I raised the Outboard bracket and she started but, I was now going agaist the tide and wind progresswas frustratingly slow. I was tempted to go into Bembridge but decided that nothing was going to stop me getting Tallula to her new mooring in Fareham.

I finally entered Portsmouth Harbour and reached my mooring. I had been at sea for over 15 hours it had taken double the time I had expected. I was exhausted. My hand and face saw from all the salt from the breaking waves.

I secured Tallula and had a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coral Moon

Coral Moon will be my fourth yacht. She is an Elizabethan 29 with a somewhat underpowered Yanmar 1GM10. When I went to pick her up ever...