Monday 17 July 2017

Snapdragon 23 Review

Taken on day of purchase


Snapdragon 23 Review

I first saw a Snapdragon 23 at the London boat show one that had been restored by PBO at the time I thought she was a nice boat but, had no idea that I would buy one.

http://www.pbo.co.uk/news/restored-snapdragon-23-yacht-free-prize-draw-25312

Pandora was my first real cruiser a Snapdragon 23. First impressions a nice cruiser for me to sail around the Solent. My first outing was under power with a Yanmar 1GM inboard. She handed well under power and felt like a stable boat. When berthing she seemed to be a bit slow to react I was not sure if that was due to me or the Triple keels.

 Our first outing

Under sail she performed well and my first passage was to East Cowes from Fareham it felt great  having my own boat when the seas got a little lumpy she felt fine. Leaving Portsmouth one is often faced with a lot of wash from other vessels. I reached 6 knots. But did find that she was a little bit slow my average speed was 4.5 knots.

 Final passage to Bembridge

For a solo sailor there is more than enough room. I decided to take my family with me two children an infant and my girlfriend the cockpit had plenty of room for us but the cabin was a bit cramped but, that was to be expected.

 Plenty of room

I sailed Pandora in and around the Solent single handed and with my family I really did have a good time during my ownership and was sad to see her go.

 Time to say farewell

I would recommend a Snapdragon 23 to anyone as there first boat or someone who wants to start making passages in familiar water.

Pros

A nice sized boat
Triple keels meant she could take the ground
Nice size cockpit
Easy to handle
Ample stowage
Big enough for a small family
Can be brought from £500 as a project

Cons

Very little headroom
Handling in close quarters was always a challenge
A little slow

For more information regarding these great boats see below.

 http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=6820

https://www.snapdragonmirage.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coral Moon

Coral Moon will be my fourth yacht. She is an Elizabethan 29 with a somewhat underpowered Yanmar 1GM10. When I went to pick her up ever...